Sunday, July 31, 2005

Excitement and adventure and really wild things

Today I went on an Expedition to the previously mentioned quilt store, just because I had some spare time and what the hell else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon? So, armed with a Google map and directions, I set out for Pennington, some ten miles southwest of here. I got lost. Well, not really lost, I knew where I was, I just couldn't find the store. So I called Oliver (I love cell phones) and he told me that I should have gone north instead of south and I muttered a few choice phrases for Google Maps' directions and turned around. But if it hadn't been for having to go back into town by way of Main Street, I wouldn't have seen the yarn store! And a yarn store with the adorable name of "The Woolly Lamb," no less. Unfortunately it's closed on Sundays like just about everything else in downtown Pennington (with the exception of Vito's Pizza and the paint-your-own-pottery place) but now I have a reason to go back.

When I finally started going the right way on 31 I passed a John Deere dealership and felt right at home. Did I mention I'm from Kansas? Eventually I made my way to the quilt shop and it was as fabulous as I had imagined. Oh my God, the fabric. So much fabric. I spent rather a lot of money and I'm going to try to set up the scanner real soon now so I can scan in all the gorgeous prints. The whole store is full of bolts and bolts of every kind of cotton print you could want, and there are MANY baskets full of fat quarters like this one. Those are not cheap remnants you see. Those are baskets full of Alexander Henry and batik Moda International fat quarters. Like I said, lots of money. I think I stood in front of the sparkly Asian kimono prints shelf for a good 45 minutes.

Eventually I dragged myself out the door (I messed up my knee the other day and it was getting sore from all the standing around, otherwise I could have been there all day) and drove back toward Princeton. But on the way I stopped at the Cream King for a mint chip cone. That is the "small." They're not stingy at the Cream King.

I pushed my luck and took a different route home because I was going into town instead of straight home, and amazingly enough I made it right into town without having to turn around or anything. I went through a part of town I hadn't seen before and holy cow, there are MANSIONS in this town. Huge gorgeous houses. (For anyone who knows, this is in that part just north and west of 206 as it cuts through town.) I went to the library and picked up a copy of "Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch" by Hollis Gillespie, which is proving to be a truly excellent read, and I happened to wander past the A section of Children's Fiction and so I ended up with some Joan Aiken and Lloyd Alexander, too.

Then I went to the Wild Oats for some groceries (corn on the cob, watermelon, those excellent kalamata olives, frozen veggie burritos for lunch) and came on home, arriving just after the baseball trading deadline. I'm happy that Manny Ramirez is still a Red Sock and also that we beat the Twins again, which is the way it should be.

Now I should go wash some dishes, but maybe first I'll try to wrangle the scanner while I'm still awake...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home