Monday, September 26, 2005

Boulder blogging

It's a good day here in the mountains! We're visiting so that Oliver can do a presentation at the university, and I came along for a vacation. Today I went up to Pearl Street. I managed not to buy anything at the Body Shop or L'Occitane. But that's only because I bought two kinds of shower gel and

- Excuse me, I have the TV on here in the hotel room and I just saw an ad for the new movie "Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus." I have to go puke now. -

Whew. Anyway. Yeah, two kinds of shower gel and a tub of "Dream Cream" lotion stuff at Lush. Ooh it smells divine. And then I went to this store called Peppercorn. From the outside it looks a little out-of-control with the hand-painted dishes and stuff, but inside they have all kinds of kitchen equipment, and all the imported food goodies that I used to get at Cardullo's in Harvard Square. Imported English tea, Cadbury bars, fifty kinds of olive oil, Thai curry packets. And Tim Tams. TIM TAMS. Did you hear me? TIM TAMS!!!!! My mom and I went to Sydney in 1998 and I had these addictive little chocolate bars, and I haven't seen them in the US, anywhere, ever. So I am understandably excited to find them right here in my soon-to-be hometown.

And because woman cannot live on Tim Tams alone, I also picked up a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar. I wouldn't want the Fruit & Nut to feel like I didn't love it any more.

Then I checked out the local yarn store. Good points: the Wall o' Koigu and Mountain Colors, an adorable sheepdog, an interesting class schedule, every kind of Brown Sheep wool, and the enormous quantities of gorgeous roving. Only problem: they don't stock Rowan yarns! Fortunately there are other yarn stores in the greater Denver area, so once we actually live here I can go on yarn-hunting field trips.

But I have a confession or two to make. One is that in the euphoria of finishing the sweater, I started three new projects. I started the gray mittens, and the toe of a KPPPM sock, and the Ravenclaw scarf is about 8" long by now (and looks fantastic). With all that, you would think that I shouldn't start anything else, right? Well, um, did you notice I mentioned all the roving at the yarn store?

Yeah. 9 oz. of natural white Corriedale and a Louet drop spindle. I couldn't resist. Look at those little sheepy faces. Baaa!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens. So much Koigu! How on earth did you resist?

The spindle is very cute, too! I have one that I haven't learned to use yet. I feel kind of guilty about that.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I think Barbie is a very underrated actress. I've heard her work in the Pegasus movie is Oscar-quality.

Doncha love checking out a new yarn store for the first time? First you're overwhelmed, then you start to see some familiar "faces," then some new surprises...fun!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Indeed, an unbelievable amount of Koigu, and all that Mountain Colors next to it, which I hadn't seen in real life yet. The only reason I resisted was that there was just too much to even decide between. But I'm sure I'll yield to temptation eventually!

And as for checking out the new yarn store, it's awesome, especially since this one will be my LYS in just a few months. :) My current options here in NJ are pretty good, but neither is quite right for me somehow.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home