Sunday, November 20, 2005

Flowers

The Flower Basket shawl...
Is blocking.

This is my first real lace project. It was easier than I thought - thanks Beth for the encouragement! - and it's incredibly soft and beautiful. I keep looking at it and I can't believe I actually made that. I went a little crazy earlier today, and it went like this:
- I need another lace project.
- Maybe I should knit Birch.
- You know, what I really want to knit is Wrapped in Tradition. It's not any bigger than Birch, right?
I was only stopped by the fact that of the two LYSs, one doesn't carry Douceur et Soie, and the other was closed. Still, maybe I need to put in an order for something online...

Meanwhile, I swore that as soon as I had my #7 32" Addi circs back from the shawl, I was going to work out the size and pattern modifications for Paloma and cast on (only 2 1/2 years after buying the yarn). So I started winding the yarn, and discovered that the red, pink, and purple skeins were shedding a fine red grit all over my desk. Sigh. I don't know if the natural dyes are doing something weird after sitting for too long, or if they weren't rinsed enough after dyeing, or what. I gave them a thorough soak in Eucalan and several rinses, so hopefully that'll do the trick.

I learned yesterday that the fantastic thing about Magic Loop is that you can knit a sock on New Jersey Transit and not have to worry about dropping one of your DPNs under the seats and never seeing it again (or not wanting to retrieve it - ugh). I think I'm a convert. And I'm about to start on the toe of the first sock! So many projects, so many other projects...

5 Comments:

Blogger quantumtea said...

Faina's scarf is a nice smallish lace project, it's a Fiber Trends pattern, all geometric shapes.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

!!!!!

It's beautiful!

:-) :-) :-)

That Wrapped in Tradition pattern looks pretty spiffy, too, and I say this as a committed ponchophobe. ;-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

I totally agree about the ponchophobia! But I think my aversion has a lot to do with chunky wool and fringe and baggy patterns, and the Wrap Style ones are a completely different thing... the Spiral Shell, the Shoulder Cozy, the adorable capes, I could go on...

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh, Alex!!!!! It's absolutely gorgeous.

Have you considered making Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style? It's high on my to-do list ... the yarn is wound up and everything ... but I have to get through the Christmas stuff first.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Thank you!! I thought about Ene's Scarf, but something about the lace pattern doesn't quite do it for me. I like the border a lot, though.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home