Tuesday, May 02, 2006

His name's codeine, he's the nicest thing I've seen

(Credit to Townes Van Zandt for the title.)

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes! Unfortunately, the cold wasn't going away so I hauled myself to the doctor yesterday and wouldn't you know, it's bronchitis. Just what I always wanted. But the nice doctor gave me prescription cough syrup with codeine, and I slept really well last night. I think the Red Sox victory over the Yankees probably helped too.

I promised a report on spinning wheels, and this is my biased opinion so far: I like the Lendrum better. The Schacht is a beautiful piece of work, and I admire it greatly, but:
- The single treadle model makes me spin really fast to keep the wheel moving evenly. Faster spinning = less control, for this new spinner. I realize that the double treadle would probably fix this problem.
- It weighs a ton. I like to spin in my craft room sometimes, but I also like to sit in the living room and watch the NBA playoffs, so portability is somewhat important to me.
- The Schacht costs about $400 more than the Lendrum. Do you know how much fiber that would buy?

This is the last week of spinning class; we have class Thursday as usual and then we're spending Saturday learning about dyeing. I've learned a lot already but I can't wait to sign up for the next level!

7 Comments:

Blogger quantumtea said...

Hope you feel better soon!

I did drool over the Schacht double treadle in class, but that one couldn't leave the shop, and the Louet S10 loaner wheel did a sterling job in my living room.

And $400 is one heck of a big whack of extra fibre, yarn, needles, or a whole spare wheel!

Hope to see the wheel-spun results soon!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

I just love it when the thing I prefer turns out to be the economical choice, too. :-)

I'm glad you're feeling better. Colds suck. And bronchitis sucks extra.

8:47 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

isn't codeine cough syrup great? makes you all warm and cozy. of course you also say silly things. or at least i do. glad you got to the doc i'm sure you'll be feeling better in no time!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Sorry you're sick...but the codeine is good stuff, is it not? Hope you're feeling better soon!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

Hope you're back to 100% soon! Yay Red Sox!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the bronchitis... Here's hoping the opiates do you good! See you tomorrow night...

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider the Lendrum the Caddie of wheels. maybe I need to update the status car i am trying to compare it to. lol!

Still only spin on drop-spindles, saving up for a wheel of my own. Out of all the wheels, the Lendrum just has so much more going on for it that most others. The treadling is SMMMMMooooooottthhhh. It folds for storage and travel without distrupting the tension. I've seen other travel wheels where you need to remove the drive band to fold. ugh.

Also as you grow as a knitter, the wheel will grow with you. The super fast flyer set can be purchased when your ready, and want to expand your horizons, and they also have a bulky flyer too.

I've done a lot of research into the different wheel spec's as I wanted to make sure I get the best bang for the buck

The potential ratio's of the lendrum are:
6,8,10:1 Regular flyer
12,15,17:1 Fast Flyer
26, 30, 36, 44:1 Very Fast Flyer
5, 7, 9:1 Plyer Head
6, 25, 37:1 Quill Head

Have my name on a waiting list for my wheel, and plan on investing in the flyers (lay-away if I have to) given that Lendrum is a small operation and I developed a fear that by the time I get my wheel, he might decide to retire. Would be my luck ;)

Would have settled for a Louet but the prices went up in the US and why pay that much when you can get a wheel worthy of luv.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home