Sunday, April 09, 2006

Yarn galore

On Saturday I went yarn-shopping with Emily (who has written a very entertaining recap) and Erica. Denver seems to have an astonishing number of yarn stores for one city, and a new one just opened so we had to check it out! Lamb Shoppe is beautifully laid out and has a good stock of really lovely yarn, though it was all fairly high-end stuff: Debbie Bliss, Colinette, Cherry Tree Hill, Elsebeth Lavold, and The Fibre Company, which was new to me and had some beautiful yarn. I wandered around, picked up some sock yarn, put it down, but I kept coming back to the shelf of Rio de la Plata. So I bought it all. Well, only six skeins, all in the "Pink Carnation" colorway. (So much for that blue stash, hmm?)

We went on to A Knitted Peace in Littleton, which is a really nice shop, but I didn't find anything that really needed to come home with me. After lunch at the Greek deli, we ventured out to the sprawling suburb of Highlands Ranch to String, which was having a great big sale and was packed with knitters. String organizes yarn mostly by color, which is interesting and looks great, but it was a bit hard to find exactly what I wanted (worsted weight, and enough for a sweater). Still, they have a fantastic seletion. I ended up with three skeins of apple-green DB baby cashmerino, one of my favorite yarns; not sure what it'll be, but it can join its friends in the big bag of stashed cashmerino.

On the way home, we stopped at Shuttles, since, you know, we were right there. Emily convinced me to try out Cotton Fleece, so I picked up one skein for swatching purposes. And then I went home and passed out. Whew!

In the evening, I took over half the living room with books, knitting needles, and yarn, trying to figure out what the heck to do with all this stuff. If I knit the pink wool to the suggested gauge, I won't have enough for a sweater. I'm still working on it; I may have to come up with my own pattern, and knit it loosely - but I think it'll look kind of cool. The Cotton Fleece is actually a lot nicer than I expected when knit up, but it's DK, not worsted, so it won't work for Eris. So, change of plans: perhaps a ChicKnits eyelet cardi for the summer, and maybe in the fall I'll make Eris in Beaverslide wool for winter wear.

Next up: are the alpaca wristlets done yet? How are those socks going, anyway? And who's going to the Estes Park Wool Market?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also very interested in trying out Cotton Fleece -- glad to hear it knit up nicely for you.

Sounds like you had a great day of yarn shopping!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Ooooooh. Pink! Green! You're talking my language. ;-) Is that Rio de la Plata stuff anything like Malabrigo? That's what I thought it was, before I clicked to see it full-size.

12:19 PM  
Blogger emily said...

i am SOOO going to Estes!!!!! Tom will probably go with, so you can ride with me and husband if your's is not interested in going.

1:19 PM  
Blogger amy! said...

There's a store on Newbury Street in Boston that's organized by color. I hate it. I'm pretty independent and it seemed like anytime I wanted to see if there was a coordinating color or if a specific yarn came in something else, I had to ask the shopkeeper. Drove me bonkers. I just could get a handle on what they had at all. Or what colors a specific yarn might come in. Grr!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like lots of fun! the new shop is so close to my office, Ihave to go soon!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home