Monday, April 03, 2006

Socks, and more socks!

The Bearfoot socks are finished!

Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Lodgegrass. Pattern: Basketweave rib from "Sensational Knitted Socks," knit toe-up from a figure-8 toe with a short-row heel. Needles: 2.25mm Crystal Palace circular (magic loop technique), but I had to cast off the leg on a US#9! Verdict: best socks ever. I love the subtle colors, the perfect fit, the durable yet fuzzy yarn. I only wish that Bearfoot came in more colorways - the stuff at the LYS is gorgeous but it's all very dark and wintery.

And obviously, dark colors are not where I'm at right now, because I bought one skein of this KPPPM (100L) on Saturday when I went in to exchange some reinforcing thread. It's going to be a pair of ankle socks a la Alison, though I am once again making it into a toe-up pattern. In fact, that toe is my first short-row toe, made from Wendy's instructions. I'm going to knit two toes and then put them both on one needle and knit both socks at the same time, since I want to use the yarn as efficiently as possible. Normally I'm not such a pastel person but I can't help it, it's springtime!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm quite into the toe-up short row toes and heels these days myself -- I love not having to worry about running out of yarn before the toe (or about being too conservative and having more yarn left over than I'd planned on).

Love the wintry socks -- it'll be like a little surprise present to yourself when you get to wear them next fall. And the springy pastels are lovely!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did the same thing (minus the short-row toe) for a pair of socks for my PT--I only had one skein of the yarn I had in mind, so I just kept going till I ran out.

Getting excited for spinning?!?

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love Bearfoot -- and I would love to have lighter colors, too.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Ooo, socks! The basketweave pair are lovely, of course, and I really like the happy, sherbet-y color of the Koigu. Just the thing for spring. :-)

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home