Sunday, October 09, 2005

Much improved

I'm feeling better, and there's so much to write about!

First, I finished one mitten and have started on the second. They're wonderfully thick and fuzzy and warm. You can see some of the subtle variations in color; the Limbo Color is gray/blue/tan but the charcoal Etoile mutes it nicely. I'm actually looking forward to having some chilly weather so I can wear them!

Second, I just put in a big order from KnitPicks. This is my first yarn order from them, so let's hope it turns out well. I bought Alpaca Cloud (laceweight) in several colors, some alpaca/silk Elegance (DK weight), and their Elizabethan lace scarf pattern. Watch this space for extravagant numbers of new projects, coming soon.

In non-knitting news, yesterday I drove up to Connecticut for a surprise wedding shower for my dear friend Michele. It was all kinds of fun, especially the look on her face when she came in the door. Congrats Michele! :) (It was also great to see Chris and Beth - hey Beth, you said you have two books about spinning? Would you recommend either?)

I am just a little bit tempted to go to Rhinebeck next weekend, but reason and good sense are reminding me of all the driving I did yesterday, and that if I go, I'll spend my entire savings on yarn and roving. Plus Rhinebeck is a 3+ hour drive from here. And it'll probably be raining. Right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us know how you like Elegance! I have my eye on that for my next Knitpicks order. (Which I'm trying to hold off on; I only get about a week grace period between yarn orders before I start itching for more.)

Glad you're feeling better!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Oh Alex. I'm drooling over here. The Alpaca Cloud really calls to me!

Let's see... the two books are Spindle Spinning by Connie Delaney (paperback) and High Whorling by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts (hardcover.) The Delaney book is more accessible, I think, especially if you just want to spin commercial roving. The PGR book gets into more detail about choosing and processing fleece, etc, and it's a lot to take in all at once. But it has very cheery pen-and-ink drawings. ;-)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

High Whorling totally sounds like the name of some tiny English village...

3:09 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

When my husband saw the book lying on the table, he thought it said "High Wh*ring". Which would be an entirely different kind of manual. ;-)

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home