Thursday, May 11, 2006

Carried away

Like I said earlier, I started spinning the purple merino-silk. The color is just fantastic, very rich but with enough lighter color to give it depth. I have this problem, though. I'm not very good yet at judging how thick my finished yarn is going to be, and I am a little bit of a perfectionist who loves having mad technical skillz and doing really serious stuff (e.g. my new lace project, and my fondness for programming).

The result?

Lace.

I spun laceweight! This is very exciting! But this is also a problem. Because, you see, after much waffling I thought I'd decided to make the Diamond Fantasy Shawl. Which is knit in fingering-weight yarn. So now I have more decisions to make. The options:

- Work on my spinning and try to get singles that will yield fingering-weight yarn.
- Try knitting DFS in laceweight. (I'm not sure that will work very well; it looks like it needs a bit more structure.)
- Give it up and knit Icarus instead. Or something else, even. I like geometric triangular shawls, and any suggestions would be welcomed.

Opinions, anyone? Adding to the problem is the fact that I have to return the wheel to the store on Saturday, but we all know what the solution to that is.

3 Comments:

Blogger quantumtea said...

Keep spinning, ply it, and see what happens. What kind of wheel is that?

Have fun! I'm planning to order my own wheel in a week or so, those loaner wheels are like the first hit of something really addictive...

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd suggest keeping spinning and ply it as well. You'll quite likely end up at a fingering. Also, the DFS is pretty forgiving and pretty easy to size so if it ends up a bit too light just adjust the needle size to have the structure you want and go from there! That is looking great!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am a little bit of a perfectionist who loves having mad technical skillz and doing really serious stuff . . ."

Noooo! Really?

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home