Sunday, June 18, 2006

Belated blogging

Sorry for the terrible tardiness in posting lately... my excuse is that Monday I was still exhausted and recovering from the trip (and a cold), Tuesday I picked up my wheel, Wednesday was Kate's going-away party, and Thursday was spent in cleaning the house before our mothers arrived on Friday. And of course we all know where the entire fiber-arts population of the western U.S. was today.

But before I get into all the fabulous purchases, I should catch up (and besides, I haven't taken pictures yet). I had a wonderful time at Reunion. Friday my plane was delayed (bad weather in Boston, what a shock) and so Chris picked me up and we had dinner at IHOP. Mmm, hash browns. I stayed on campus, and our class's dorm was the same one I lived in senior year, which was simultaneously lots of fun and kind of weird. Saturday was wet and gray and squishy, but the campus is beautiful in any weather, as you can see in this view from the beautiful new student center. The student center is, of course, home to the bookstore, where I bought way too many things that say "Wellesley College" on them and I still think I could have bought more.

On Saturday afternoon, soggy with rain and nostalgia, Chris and I left campus and drove over to Beth's house, where we chatted and knit and, of course, played with the Lendrum! Things seemed to be going more smoothly by the time we headed back to campus for our lobster dinner. (Yes, lobster. And mussels and chowder.)

Sunday turned out to be a lovely sunny day, perfect for the alumnae parade, which is the best part of reunion. It's hard to explain to anyone who didn't go to a women's college, but there's something really moving about seeing the class of 1936 in attendance, having a wonderful time and devoted to the college, and knowing that we're all part of the same community of brilliant women. It was wonderful.

After the parade we went to meet Beth again; we had lunch at the new incarnation of Pho Pasteur (I have a serious addiction to fresh spring rolls) and then we went on our yarn crawl. As you can see, we went to Woolcott, of course; the odd thing is that I didn't seem to buy any yarn. I bought some needles, Crystal Palace #1 bamboo circulars, which I'm sorry to report are utterly worthless and have a terrible, un-usable join. Hmph. Beth picked up some good yarn, though, and then we wandered over to Beadworks to satisfy Chris's craft-shopping needs. I bought some blue and purple beads for more beaded wristwarmers, which you can expect to see as soon as the weather cools off again. We hit up two more yarn stores, Spark Craft in Davis Square, which had a few nice yarns (Malabrigo) and lots of other craft supplies, and Circles in JP (see photo), which was really great and full of excellent rare yarns. I also failed to buy yarn at either of these, but it wasn't my fault; I almost bought some gorgeous dark-red Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool at Circles but she only had 2 skeins, which is not enough for a cardigan. I'll just have to order it later. It really was the best red yarn I've ever seen.

I had a turbulent but uneventful flight back to Colorado on Sunday night, and have plenty more to report, but this is getting long and it's past my bedtime. Stay tuned for much more spinning, the Estes report, progress on the blue sock, and lack of progress on my lace project!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

Circles. Sigh. I wanna go back! In fact I think I want to move in...

8:23 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Reunions are so much fun ... I'm glad you had a good time at yours.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home