Saturday, June 03, 2006

New yarn store!

There's a new yarn store in the neighborhood! It opened on Thursday, so of course I had to drive down to Louisville at the first opportunity to check it out. It's called Mew Mew's Yarn Shop... no prizes for guessing who it's named after. The owner, Sue, is a longtime knitter and yarn-store employee, striking out on her own, and she's done a nice job so far.

You can see a list of their stock on the website, but I took some pictures and notes as well. Seen here: lots of Misti Alpaca (bulky, worsted, and lace, be still my heart), and Crystal Palace Kid Mohair. Below that, the SOCK YARN. Now, I love Shuttles, but I'm sorry, they don't carry the best sock yarn. Now we have a new source for Trekking (yes!), Regia (many varieties), Wildfoote, and that Austermann stuff with aloe. She doesn't have the really great Trekking colors yet, but I suggested that maybe she should order some because everyone loves it. And yet more stuff that Shuttles doesn't carry: Rowan. Rowan tweed, to be precise, and there's also some Wool Cotton over in the corner. And on the bottom shelf, that's Regia Nation! I was sorely tempted to make some French or Italian socks, but I restrained myself. Well, sort of.

A few things did have to come home with me: Gray Regia Silk, which I've been wanting to try; it feels fantastic and is going to make some beautiful lacy patterned socks, and Regia #5440. Isn't it fabulous? I found this picture showing how it knits up and I can't wait to start working on it. But I am virtuous and will knit the other blue sock first!

In summary: nice little store, carries stuff we can't get elsewhere, friendly owner, friendly cat who likes attention, and best of all, it's open on Sunday afternoons. Hooray!

5 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

I thought it was great, too! And that Regia silk was sooo soft, wasn't it??

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sunday afternoon thing is so nice, isn't it? We have one LYS around here that's open on Sundays in the winter, and they get a lot of my business at that time. It jus seems to be the day when I can't resist the urge to go out and pet some yarn!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mew Mews soooooooooo cute!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Alex!Next time you're in, you get lots of chocolate! Mew Mew. I ordered 4 or 5 colors(I forget how many, it's so gorgeous) of the Trekking Color XXL that you mentioned. Arrived this week: Plymouth Encore in Solid, Colorspun, and Mega. Plymouth Dreambaby, Butterfly cotton, Royal Bamboo, and Galway wool,Combed natural colors Alpaca fiber for spinners, and alpaca/silk lace wt. yarn from "Alpaca with a twist" .Also, Mango Moon kits yarn. I have Muench on order. To come:Hand made " spindolyn" drop/support hand spindles and Deb Brandt hand dyed merino blend roving.

10:16 PM  
Blogger lesley said...

i love sue's shop just found out about it after i got back can't wait to visit with her more and knit!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home