Sunday, May 14, 2006

Introduction

(This is my first entry in The Amazing Lace.)

On November 12, 2005, I was having a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I was sad and grouchy and clearly in need of some retail therapy. At the time, I was living in Princeton, New Jersey, which has a rather nice downtown shopping area complete with a very good yarn store. I wandered around, looked at the yarn and browsed the books sitting out on the table. And then I saw it: Wrap Style. Things that I could make that would wrap me up and keep me warm and cozy and happy. I bought it and walked out feeling slightly better about the universe.

Fast-forward to the following weekend, when I finished my first lace shawl, the Flower Basket Shawl. As you can see from that post, I loved it (and still do). It's so soft and cozy, and it makes me feel good about myself when I wear it. (I wear it to work: I may be having trouble figuring out our old software, but by God, I can knit some really cool stuff.) I'd been reading my new book all week, and while the Shoulder Cozy and Spiral Shell looked warm and comfy, I kept coming back to the Wrapped in Tradition lace shawl. (I can't call it a poncho. It shares no traits with the archetype of a poncho.) I went out yarn-shopping but I was insistent on making it with the recommended yarn, Douceur et Soie, and so I was thwarted by the yarn stores. I bookmarked the page and went back to my sock- and holiday-knitting.

A month later, we packed everything up and moved across the country, from NJ to Colorado. On the way, we spent a few days at my parents' house in Kansas. I'd been planning a trip to the Yarn Barn, a great yarn store in Lawrence. Armed with a gift certificate from my parents, I swept through the store, picking up sock yarn (Trekking), books (Knitting on the Road), and the exact yarn I'd been wanting. Douceur et Soie, three skeins, pale blue. I admired it, petted it, and set it on my worktable where it languished for a month or two.

At one point, probably in the midst of my two months of unemployment, I picked up the yarn and the book, cast on, and knit five rows of very tricky lace. It's one of those patterns where you have to stare at the pattern constantly and mutter to yourself, "knit, purl, k2t, double yarnover, knit knit purl." Obviously you have to do this at home, so there are no distractions and no one looks at you funny. I haven't picked it up again since; too busy with Knitting Olympics and socks and learning to spin. But now, we're ready. We're a team. We're joining The Amazing Lace, and nothing's going to stop us now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Messed Up said...

sounds like you have to be alone in doing it or you might sound crazy. LOL

1:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Wow, that is going to be supremely amazing "poncho" -- great choice for a race "partner" !!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Good luck, but as a fellow competitor YOU WILL LOSE AND I WILL WIN! Imagine maniacal laughter here.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Yarn Barn in Lawrence?! One of my favorite places in the world. My husband jokes that the car goes on auto pilot there from our house. Can't wait to see what you do with that beautiful wrap "poncho" pattern. You're very brave to post the first intro. I'm planning on posting mine tomorrow.

6:09 PM  
Blogger emily said...

excellent book-- that is Alexander's story!

i'm glad to hear you are working on the lace project, and i look forward to seeing your progress on this here blog, 'cause i doubt you'll be venturing out and about with it!

9:32 PM  
Blogger silverarrowknits said...

I understand the fear of people thinking you look crazy while whispering knit 1, purl 1, etc. I do most of my complicated knitting with just my housemate around. She crochets and mutters too!

Good luck with the Amazing Lace! I am in it too and it really exciting to see what everyone is making.

10:41 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Oh, I can't wait to see it! I've been dreaming about that for some time, and I even got as far as you did ... but then I cast it aside, saying, "What are you crazy? When will you have time for this?" Anyhow ... I'll just live vicariously through you on this one. :)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Me too! I mean, I'm doing Wrapped in Tradition too! I am going to haunt your blog to see how it's all going because there aren't (as far as I and google can tell) that many of these out there in blogland to ransack for knitting details.

Good luck!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home