Monday, June 19, 2006

Wool Market, Part II

Now, I know it's the Estes Park Wool Market. But there are so many wonderful things that are not exactly wool! For example,

caramel alpaca from Paradise Valley Alpacas, 4.5 oz;

white llama from Red Barn Fiber Processing, 3 oz;

a llama cookie cutter;

burgundy silk hankies (ironwood/cochineal, 1.2 oz) and a spinning wheel basket from Stefania;

and finally, I did eventually buy some wool: three huge skeins of purple-blue Brooks Farm Duet, 50/50 wool/mohair. (If you look at the picture in their webpage banner, I think it's the one on the left edge; my photos aren't coming out well.) It is absolutely divine and I'm thinking of using it for the Hourglass Sweater (from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts) - a very simple pattern to show off the color variations and shine of the yarn.

I probably could have bought more, but I definitely have a decent stash of spinning fiber built up, and I want to start working my way through it. The only things that I'd considered buying but didn't were: a new niddy-noddy, I loved the birdseye maple ones that Stefania had but they were more than I wanted to spend; and sock yarn, which I completely failed to see except at the Shuttles booth, and I can get that any time. I don't know if I missed it because I'm so spinning-obsessed, or if it really wasn't there. Oh well, I know that Sue at Mew Mew's just ordered some new Trekking... and as for the niddy and more fiber, I'll have to wait for Taos.

I was sorry to miss the blogger meet-up, but I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's adventures, and I'm planning to be at Estes every year for the foreseeable future, so I'll see you all next year!

4 Comments:

Blogger quantumtea said...

Beautiful colours! I loved spinning my silk hankie. Peopl in my LYS talk about Estes in hushed tones, thanks for the pictures.

5:35 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

don't know how i missed you. it was fun wasn't it :) see you wednesday for knitting :) lesley

7:51 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh, I love Duet! I used it to make my friend's Sarah Blanch shawl, and it was wonderful to work with. I have more than 1/2 the hank left over. I'm hoarding it.

10:36 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Oh, that duet will be sooo perfect for an Hourglass! I made my hourglass out of a less than perfect yarn and I'm sort of regretting it ... too bad I missed you at Estes! See you around soon!

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home