Sunday, June 25, 2006

Yet more spinning

As you can see, I've been spending a lot of time with the new wheel, and testing out the new fibers. Here you can see the alpaca and the silk. I've been following the silk-spinning instructions at Knittyspin and they're very helpful. After spinning merino, the length of silk fibers is a new and different experience... not to mention the way the pre-drafted fiber floats through the air and snags on anything in its path. I love the color, though, and the speed with which pre-drafted fiber flies onto the bobbin. I'm spinning it a bit thicker than usual so the smooth hand and reflective quality of the silk are very noticeable. The Knitty article also pointed me to Crown Mountain Farms, and I could stare at that color page all day.

Before I did all that, though, I needed to return the half-full bobbins that belonged to the borrowed wheel, so I finished spinning and plying 2 oz. of the purple merino/tussah, which turned into nearly 200 yards of mostly-fingering-weight yarn! (I think I need to buy a wpi gauge.) I have another 6 oz. of it waiting to be spun, and the store is ordering more and will hold it for me when it arrives, so I should eventually have enough for the shawl. I'm not sure if I mentioned that I ordered the pattern, and while I was at it I ordered this one too. Whether I'll be ambitious enough to spin the yarn for the Faroese shawl remains to be seen.

And because I don't have enough projects, I picked up a copy of Last Minute Knitted Gifts, so I can make myself an Hourglass Sweater. First, though, I have to finish the blue socks. Which are, once again, on the third iteration of the star toe. These socks have been a learning experience, and the lesson is to go back to knitting toe-up socks.

(By the way, we had some truly remarkable weather here yesterday - check out Anne's pictures!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Uneeknitter said...

I love what you did with the silk!! And the weather was crazy yesterday, although I don't think we got hail here in Longmont.

10:47 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Hey Alex! I bought some silk hankies, and they've been so different and hard for me to spin! My hands are indeed far too rough, and the silk just gets caught on every crag of my skin! Ha ha. Yours is looking great! I just told my husband today that I am *definitely* taking the spinning class in the fall ... I can't wait!

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful spinning!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home