Sunday, August 27, 2006

I'm feeling much better now

The student center cafeteria changed its menu, and the burritos are significantly improved. They're not perfect, but they'll do. :)

This past Thursday was our last Spinning 2 class, and the topic was "students' choice". We all wanted to learn about spinning different kinds of fiber. Here we have the result. Left: (top) camel, (L:R) combed natural-colored cotton, hemp, and combed tussah silk top. Right: (bottom to top) bombyx silk cap, camel, tussah, cotton, and hemp.

My favorites were the tussah and camel; they were the softest by far, and also the easiest to spin... though as Maggie said, the camel might not have seemed so easy if we hadn't just been spinning cotton. (Cotton is impossible.) It was a great learning experience and I definitely want to buy more silk to spin.

I've been working away on the North Sea shawl and am halfway done with the center panel! I'll try to post a new picture soon. The KnitPicks Options needles are still fantastic and the stitches are flying along.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

I forgot you had the Knitpicks needles! Very cool. I just got a few skeins of their Gloss merino/silk sock yarn, and I don't know how it's going to knit up, but it certainly FEELS fabulous.

And I've heard that once you start spinning silk, it's all over and nothing else will do. Danger! Danger! ;-)

8:58 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

i used to get those burritos at the umc all the time. glad found somethng you like :)

8:59 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

First off, thanks for the birthday wishes!

How was the hemp to spin? Was it similar to the cotton in difficulty? I'd love to try some of that someday!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home