Thursday, October 13, 2005

Blah

For readers outside the Northeast, I'd like to point out that it has been raining since Friday night. The forecast says we'll have sunshine on Saturday but I suspect it's just a meteorologists' conspiracy to keep us all from jumping into the floodwaters.

But at least there's baseball, my preferred secondary activity while knitting. Thanks to watching the playoffs every evening, I'm nearly done with the second mitten (about to start the decreases) and I'm on the second stripe of the Ravenclaw scarf. I want to get back to the shawl, since I feel like it just needs one good evening's work to finish it. But I'm also having sock envy. I've been browsing the KnitPicks sock options and wondering if Morehouse laceweight would make good socks. (Particularly the Saffron colorway, which is gorgeous and makes me think of Saffy from AbFab and "Yo-Saff-Bridge" from Firefly.) The obvious thing to do is to pick up the KPPPM again, but I'm having pattern anxiety and I think I need to go back to something I'm more comfortable with, preferably a nice top-down pattern with a little lace pattern and a square heel. Whew, just admitting that is a relief.

So, tonight: Cards-Astros at 8; finish that mitten; and pick a new sock pattern. I think I can manage that, if I don't get washed away in a flood on the way home.

P.S. - I lied, it didn't rain much on Sunday. Which I only remembered because I went to the library on Sunday and checked out two knitting books: the Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns, which is fantastic and will require much xeroxing before I return it, and Ann Budd's "The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns," which is so useful I may have to buy my own copy. There were a ton of other books I wanted but they were all checked out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

That little bit of Koigu in the picture looks like it might be a toe-up sock. That way of making socks has never felt quite "right" to me, probably because of the huge mental block I have about short row heels and toes.

There's a really nice new sock book out: "Knitting Vintage Socks" by Nancy Bush. If you see that at the library, pounce on it.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

It is exactly a toe-up sock, or at least it was until last night when I turned it into a top-down sock. :) I could sort of understand the short-row toes (and I even worked a figure-8 cast-on!), but I lacked confidence that it was ever going to fit *my* toes, while I know that a normal grafted toe fits fine.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home