Monday, January 23, 2006

Greenery

Yesterday I went out and bought a snow shovel, and scraped most of the snow off of our sidewalk and steps. Apparently our (rented) house lacks gutters, which means that snowmelt falls straight onto the landing of the front steps and freezes into a 2'-square sheet of ice. Great. Fortunately it's supposed to be well above freezing every day this week, so perhaps even our shaded porch will thaw and dry.

Given all that, is it any surprise that I'm feeling a little obsessed with green plants lately?

My jade plant, which made it safely from California to Maryland a few years ago, lost a few branches on the latest cross-country trip. But look: it's growing new leaves! I'm so proud. New additions to the indoor garden include these six tiny succulents, which are lined up on my craft-room windowsill looking adorable, and this lovely maidenhair fern.

And now for the knitting content, which is what you all come here for:

Not very exciting for anyone else, but it keeps my hands warm: I fixed the gray mittens, which were too big. Instead of the usual star decrease, I worked these like the toe of a sock and grafted the ends, and it fits really well, so I think that'll be my new mitten pattern.

And yes, I did go to the bead store yesterday, and I succumbed to the pulsewarmer pattern in the latest issue of PieceWork (thank you Beth for the subscription!). I'm using leftover laceweight alpaca from my Flower Basket shawl, two strands together, but the beads only on one strand. It's tricky, for sure, but watching the pattern grow is totally addictive. I did a provisional cast-on instead of the long-tail called for in the pattern; we'll soon see if that was knitting hubris or not.

5 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Now I'm wondering if I should start some beaded wrist warmers. Damn you! :-)
They look great!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! And I like how the color scheme goes with your current green plants in winter theme!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's already very striking!

Ah, plants. I envy your obvious ability with succulents. I'm a succulent killer. Verifiable. Every time. Sigh.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Oh yay oh yay oh yay! :-) I love Piecework even more than IK. It only has one or two knitting patterns per issue, but they're usually really good ones. Lots are by Nancy Bush.

See, without a cat you can do stuff like put an adorable little row of tiny plants on your windowsill.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

The mittens look nice and toasty ... I prefer a flat decrease on mine, as well. I think it's a neater look.

We have a ficus tree that we were given for a wedding gift 15 years ago ... it's been from Chicago to Massachusetts and back and back again ... gotta love a sturdy plant.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home