Monday, February 27, 2006

Fibers

From left to right, that's the llama, the alpaca, and my first skein of two-ply, 15 yards of white Corriedale. Plying was kind of a pain, but it took the extra twist out of my over-spun singles, and after I soaked and dried it to set the twist, it turned into this lovely fluffy soft stuff! We're having a kool-aid dyeing party on Sunday and I'm thinking of taking the rest of the white roving to experiment with.

I start my new job on Wednesday! Luckily for me, we're having beautiful weather, so I went out to run errands today. I stopped at the library, and while I was there I thought I might as well look at the knitting books. The advantage of not looking up the call number for "knitting" is that you have to wander around the 700s saying "I know it's here somewhere," and then you end up finding a copy of "High Whorling" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Or at least that's what happened to me. I'm hoping to learn great and useful things!

In case you were all wondering, I did indeed finish my Olympic knitting, and posted at 1 AM Saturday at the Team CO blog to prove it. It's a SURPRISE, though, so full details will be forthcoming soon, but not quite yet. I will say that I learned a great deal, that The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques is a fantastic resource, and my finishing skills have increased so much that I can make some really good-looking stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica.Hysterica said...

Alex, I can't wait to see your 2-ply. Do you know what you want to make with it yet? Also, I can't agree with you more about the Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques. Poorly titled, because it isn't limited to finishing techniques, it is one of my favorite resources.

I can't wait for the Oscar/ecclectic party!

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the yarn, especially the alpaca, what a cool color!
Congratulations on finishing your Olympic project in time, I'm looking forward to see the pics ad learn more about the details!
Have fun knitting, and best wishes from Austria!

4:38 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Good job finishing your Olympic project! And good score on that book at the library ... don't you just love the library? :) I'll put a hold on that and read that too one day. When you double ply do you use two spindles and ply onto a third? That's how I've been doing it. I'll show you the "navajo ply" sometime if you're interested ... it's good because it means that you have no leftover yarn.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home