Saturday, February 11, 2006

Knitter changes techniques mid-competition

Yes! It's true, I was sitting there last night watching the opening ceremonies (what was up with all the disco?), knitting stockinette stitch and thinking about how much I disliked purling. So I went to Knittinghelp.com and watched the video for purling, Continental-style. OMG IT IS SO MUCH BETTER. I'm still a little awkward but it's no slower than my old English-style purl, and it's easier on my hands. I'm still working knit stitches English-style, but once the Olympics are over and I'm not under time pressure I may switch all the way. Never fear, my Anglophilia is intact in all other aspects - it's just that this Continental thing makes so much more sense.

Speaking of the opening ceremonies, there were some really good outfits. In my opinion, the Brits and the Kazakhs had the best scarves (though there were many more nice ones), and I liked the chic French off-white scarf/hat ensemble, but the Mongolians and Kyrgyz had the most awesome hats. Coincidentally, the traditional felt Kyrgyz hats were featured in the latest issue of PieceWork. Kate Gilbert also draws our attention to the stunning scarves of the Belarus women. Romania also had some nice side-to-side knit scarves. India had neat traditional woven hats.

But I have just one question: Who on earth came up with the waltzing cow couples???

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost died laughing at the couples swinging those cows around on their rolling platforms. Also the Alps dresses were just a bit too much for me.

I considered making my Olympic challenge more challenging by trying to do it all continental, but I didn't like the idea of the resulting unevenness of tension on something I hoped to wear. I think I'll try it on something I'm going to felt, where it doesn't matter. I think it's a great challenge, though -- good luck!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can't decide if I'm pleased or disappointed to have missed the dancing cow couples!!

I don't know which continental purling variant is shown on your DVD - one of my goals for this year is to learn Norwegian purling, which is supposed to be faster than the "standard" continental purl.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

I loved the scarves on the Belarus delegation. I really hope someone somewhere thought to tape/TiVo the opening ceremonies, so they can be studied and duplicated.

I kept an eye out for the Latvian and Estonian athletes, but was very disappointed that they weren't wearing diabolically complex stranded mittens.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I didn't change mid-Olympics, but just two days beforehand. I've gone continental for knitting AND purling (essential for the ribbing coming up in my pattern). I don't have the technique down pat yet, but it will definitely be a change for the good once I get my rhythm. Plus, it's supposed to be the preferred (fastest) method for any knit/purl combination. Good luck. I enjoy your blog.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

Hello Alex--I've been meaning to comment on a couple of posts, and Blogger or my internet connection weren't cooperating at the right time until now...

Thanks for the fashion update from the Opening Ceremonies. I watched, but I guess my eyes were on my knitting not the screen to catch the scarfs so I appreciate the links to photos. I did see the Mongolian hats!

I agree on the disco music--I found it most disconcerting and would have preferred something more Olympic or Italian in nature. The cow couples I did see, and said to myself, 'what, are they supposed to be COWS?'

On Continental knitting--I am a devotee to knitting that way, but I do English still a lot, as it is how I learned and knit for the first umpty-ump years of my knitting life. Continental knitting is so much easier on my hands. I'm not so fond of Continental purling, but recently found Norweigan purling, and it you are combining knit and purl in the same row, it is the way to go for me. If I have to do an entire row of purling, continental purling is better, less movement/action of the needles, and I can keep the yarn carrying finger in the same position for the row.

I have made the Fiber Trends slippers and LOVE THEM (clog style)and have more Cascasde 220 bought to make more, this time with fuzzy novelty at the top edge.

Last word...I lived in Boulder for seven years, 1979 to 1986, and miss it still.

trish
www.randomthreads.com
now in Charlotte NC

9:09 AM  
Blogger Erica.Hysterica said...

Adam and I had a good laugh at the waltzing cow couples, too. I was also a little uncomfortable with all of the US 80s pop they had playing during the parade of nations. What was up with that?

I was taugh english, but have become a much more efficient knitter by learning continental. Continental makes more sense to me too. Good luck with your transition.

Erica

11:12 AM  
Blogger amy! said...

Welcome to the world of Continental knitting. Because I came to knitting after crochet, I don't do English at all. But I am tempted by the Norwegian purl. If I can't get into the class on it at Stitches, then I'll just have to look it up.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home