Friday, January 27, 2006

All kinds of good news

It's a good day out here in the mountains!

First, thank you all for the compliments on the beaded wristlet! I re-grafted it and it's much better. Still not quite perfect, but I think that any kind of seam is going to create a little gap in the beading pattern. The second one is already well underway.

Second, I got a job offer today! It's only a short-term (6 months or so?) kind of job, but the work is really interesting (astronomy research) and it'll help pay the bills while I look for something more permanent. I still have a few things to follow up on next week, but now I can relax all weekend without worrying about whether I'm going to be gainfully employed again.

Third, I just saw an enormous American magpie in the tree in front of our house. You can just see it in this picture, though it's black-and-white and the photo isn't great. According to Sibley (the best bird guide in existence, really, you should go buy it right away) magpies are fairly common out here in the western/northern mountain states, but you don't get them at all back east, which is why they're new to me. I also saw a bird this morning that I thought might have been too big to be a crow, which would mean it was a raven, but I couldn't be sure. Ravens are neat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I love magpies! Seeing the white flash as they fly is one of my favorite thing about visiting the West.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

We started seeing lots of new flora and fauna when we relocated from the Midwest ... our house is close to conservation land, so we've had everything from deer to turkeys roaming through our yard. So fun.

Congratulations on the job!! I'm sure that's a huge load off your mind.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! I hope it turns out to be as interesting as you're expecting. And the magpies sound like a nice bonus to an already great day! The way I figure it is that if not-that-rare things can bring you happiness, you're bound to be happy more often than most folks. I hope the magpies never lose their charm for you.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home