Saturday, February 04, 2006

Next stop Kendall

Last night we watched Next Stop Wonderland, one of my favorite movies. It's quiet and a little melancholy, and was entirely filmed in Boston. Since I lived there for 6 years, during college and my early 20s, I spent a lot of time walking around the city feeling quiet and melancholy, and so the movie really resonates with me.

Also, it has cute penguins, a lovely soundtrack, and Hope Davis in a series of fantastic sweaters. I spent a while looking for a gray wool turtleneck like hers before realizing that I look terrible in that shade of gray. Last night I noticed she also has an off-white cabled wrap cardigan, and something that looks like red mohair... I'll have to go back and look more closely.

For some reason, I also find myself wanting to watch Amelie today. I think it's because I love the aesthetics of both films. I like the way they decorate their apartments, the way they dress, the colors of the background scenery. So, readers, what movies make you want to redecorate, or wear a new skirt, or otherwise change your artistic outlook on life?

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, I'm not coming up with any movies that really changed my artistic outlook... :(

I love Amelie for not only the story, but also for the aesthetics - it's a stunning movie with many clever details to be found by the alert viewer.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Amelia Raitte had a lovely post not too long ago about the Edwardian manor-house, upstairs-downstairs aesthetic, and how it inspired her designs. It certainly resonated with me, as I spent most of (the film version of) Cold Comfort Farm scrutinizing Kate Beckinsale's wardrobe. It seemed she wore nothing but brown tweed suits the entire time, but she looked utterly fantastic in them. It's awfully sad to see her parading around in latex body suits these days pretending to be a vampire.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Ah, brown tweed suits... for me, it's reading Busman's Honeymoon, which makes me want to dress like Harriet in a tweed skirt and sensible shoes, and carry a pocket-handkerchief.

4:12 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

In my heart of hearts, I'm a ridiculous artsy hippy. I'd dress/decorate like the attire/set design in Frida, Hideous Kinky. Too bad my academic career doesn't align well with my mental image.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home