Sunday, February 05, 2006

Socks!

The Rock Creek Elfine Socks are done!!!

They're fantastic. They fit perfectly, they're incredibly comfortable and warm and soft, the colors are beautiful, and I think I need about six more pairs. I think the short-row heel is the best part of the fit, despite all of the cursing and ripping I had to do to get it right. I have tiny narrow heels and socks with heel flaps never seem to fit quite right. I am hereby stepping out into the world of Reworking Sock Patterns, as I've already cast on a pair of Conwy socks (from "Knitting on the Road") and I may just have to change the heel.

Of course I have to have more pictures: on the right you can see the colors more clearly, on the sole, and on the left, a clearer shot of the lace pattern.

Details: Pattern: Elfine's Socks, worked on US#1.5 needles with 4 fewer stitches on the sole and heel to account for narrow feet, and fewer repeats on the leg for a shorter ankle sock. Yarn: 1 skein of hand-dyed merino sock yarn in the "Rock Creek" colorway from Sunshine Yarns. I still have a fairly large ball of yarn left over from the generous 440-yard skein. I worked part of the first sock with Addi Turbo needles and the Magic Loop method, but switched to Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs when the Addis started to hurt my hands.

I highly recommend this yarn and pattern to everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Pretty socks! I like the colorway and I like how the lace goes along the side of the foot. It just looks cool. :) Great job! I've been eyeing that pattern but just don't have the right yarn yet. I'm sure it will come to me someday. :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

They turned out beautifully!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Wonderful socks! I've got my first skein of Sunshine merino sock yarn (in pinks/reds called LOVE, how appropriate for the month) recently, and it is awaiting a good pattern (plus finishing some other projects first). This looks like a lovely candidate.

trish
www.randomthreads.com

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed by your bravery in modifying the heel on a sock pattern! I think such a thing would be beyond me. You certainly got great results, though! I love the colorway and the pattern. Enjoy the continued enhancement of your sock wardrobe!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

There's nothing like a pair of brand-new socks, is there? Hooray for yours--they're beautiful. D'you think you could squeeze a pair of anklets out of the rest of the yarn, if you did constrating heels and toes?

10:53 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Uh. Contrasting.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

oooooo, very nice. Isn't Dani's yarn gorgeous?

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sox!!! Great job you did on them, I'm droolin'.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home