Sunday, February 12, 2006

More on the Belarus scarves

After some careful use of the TiVo and a little Google work, I can tell you that the scarves seen in this picture are, in fact, the same pattern seen on the Belarussian flag, which is a traditional textile motif. Isn't that cool?

I also noticed that the Estonian team was wearing white hats and mittens with a single traditional motif knit in blue. I don't, unfortunately, own Nancy Bush's book Folk Knitting in Estonia, but I know it's in there - it's the diamond pattern in the sock on the front cover.

4 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Thanks for the great research. I loved those scarves and wondered about their origin. Wonder no more. Cheers!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

That is a mighty cool link! Thanks Alex! :-)

2:12 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Hey there Alex -- that's great you received that! Cate was one of my first "blogging pals" -- we survived the election last year together! :) Good luck on the continental style stuff ... whenever I do garter stitch I knit continental style, especially with felted bags -- it's a great way to practice on something like a booga bag. For the life of me, I can't figure out the purl stitch ... but someone recently showed me the norwegian purl, which might work .... that's on my to-do list for 2006. Good luck on your stuff!!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow. Thanks! I saw the scarves, and thought they were neat, but I'm glad to know what inspired them.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home