Monday, June 26, 2006

The epic mode

Did someone say classical dactylic hexameter?

Browsing through
Wrap Style, I
spied a lace
poncho, and
instantly
loved it:

"I'll knit a
lace shawl to
wrap me in
kid mohair
blended with
silk thread,

Azure as
Aegean
waters on
quiet shores,
lighter than
fair winds."

Brilliant, or
simply a
grand sort of
obsessive
showing-off?
We'll see:

Alpine lace,
picot edge,
yarn over,
k2t,
Throw me a
lifeline!

Then, on an
aeroplane
far above
Wyoming
Knitting while
sleepy:

I fear I've
lost a stitch.
Where? I have
no idea.
Beware the
frog pond!

Last night I
sat down and
gritted my
teeth, and I
ripped out the
whole thing.

Start afresh,
knitting with
books-on-tape
(Narnia!)
First repeat
Finished.

Nineteen more
pattern reps,
then pick up
two hundred
stitches and
knit up.

Epic! I
know this now.
Challenge me
with your lace -
Triumph will
be mine!

Who needs a
golden fleece?
I'm not an
Argonaut
Simply a
Knitter.

For more on this classic form, see this page.

2 Comments:

Blogger limedragon :-: Harriet said...

I love it! : )

8:16 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I think that was the point when I decided to rip as well ... dropped stitches are so not fun. :) Nice poetry! I love Narnia on tape as well.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home