Thursday, March 01, 2007

Silver Silk Socks



Yarn: Regia Silk, color 091. 55% merino, 20% silk, 25% polyamide. One skein per sock with a bit left over.

Pattern: My basic toe-up, short-row heel-and-toe sock pattern with the 8-stitch "Oblique Openwork" pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. I reversed the pattern for the second sock so the two socks would be symmetrical instead of identical, which required a little bit of pattern-tweaking. Knit on a #1 bamboo circular, Magic Loop technique.

Verdict: LOVE the yarn. Of course I don't know how it wears yet, but it feels terrific on my feet, and the polyamide should give it extra durability without detracting from the softness at all. The silk/merino blend is luxuriously soft but it's remarkably inexpensive. I'm definitely going to buy more; it's a great yarn to show off lacy patterned socks. (And it comes in a gorgeous rich burgundy color, too.) This pattern was, shall we say, rather slow to knit. It looks good, but next time I'm doing something with fewer slanting decreases. I think I also made the toes a bit too tapered for my weird squared-off feet, so I'm tweaking my toe-up pattern once more to make the short-row toe a little more blunt. I'm so happy these socks are finally done and I can wear them!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

No joke, as soon as this photo loaded, I gasped "wow!" Needless to say, I LOVE them!

6:42 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Oh, your heels look so tidy and what a good fit! They are lovely. Please do post how the yarn wears. --Syl

10:51 AM  
Blogger GEB said...

They look gorgeous! As someone else relieved to finish a sock project this weekend (see blog), I say hurrah!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! I just made a sock with Regia silk in the same color in the same pattern!! What are the odds? It didn't occur to me that the two socks would be the same and not mirror images. I know you must be busy, but if you have it written out, could you possibly share with me your "tweaking" of the pattern for the opposite swirl? I couldn't figure it out, and it was starting to make my head hurt. I found your blog from Alison's Blue Blog. Thank you for your time, Paula

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home