Friday, October 28, 2005

High fashion

I was just looking at the winter stuff over at the Gap's new craptastic website, which only works in Firefox, and all of a sudden - whoa! A zillion shawls, wraps, and capelets! I thought, hey, cool, all our wonderful knitted stuff is totally in fashion now. The "pom-pom capelet" is a solid cabled version of the Spiderweb Capelet from S&B Nation, and that lacy shawl pattern looks... waitaminute. WTF are they doing calling that thing a crochet floral wrap? I'm no crochet expert (I can barely ch7 for a provisional cast-on) but even from that small photo, that looks like knitted lace to me. But I have a theory: I bet they call the lacy things "crochet" because "knit" sounds like either drapey jersey fabric or heavy sweaters. Either that, or they're just stupid, which considering the non-functionality of their new website, seems pretty likely.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Geezer said...

Really, dear daughter, that sounds like something from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Your Loving Father

4:45 PM  
Blogger amy! said...

Actually, it's because crochet is now more hip than knitting. And most people can't tell the difference.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home