Friday, December 09, 2005

Decisions

I finished one of the Surprise Projects! And I managed a fair bit of work on the other during this morning's class, so I have high hopes that it'll be done by the end of the weekend. My problem is that finishing one project makes me feel entitled to start five more. This is not a terribly helpful ratio. I've been looking at Folk Shawls and picking through my stash all evening. Also, today as I left work, I remembered why I shouldn't wear my hair up in the wintertime, at least not while walking across the frozen tundra that stretches between the lab and the car. My poor little ears need something to cover them up. Therefore, I am faced with several decisions:

1. North Sea or Bird's Nest? I have three skeins of navy blue laceweight alpaca that would only need to be supplemented by three more skeins for the Bird's Nest. But I could also wait (what a concept) and buy something new for North Sea, which calls for Scottish Campion aka Shetland Spindrift. Not as floaty as the alpaca, but it comes in lovely tweedy colors, and I'm all sentimental about Scotland since that's where we spent our honeymoon.

2. Which hat should I make? There are a lot out there. Earlier I mentioned the Bea Ellis originals and I'm still leaning in that direction, because the two layers look so much warmer than anything else. For this, I just have to get past the window-shopping and actually place an order. But if I stall too long it'll have to be shipped to our new address. Which leads me to the next problem:

3. How much of my stash should come in the car with me to Colorado? We're starting in on the real packing this weekend, so I should probably decide how many projects I can fit in the car and reasonably work on before the movers bring our stuff. Before you say, "you'll be too busy with moving to knit," let me remind you that I can knit in the car, and we're spending a few days at my parents' house out in the country, where there isn't much to do in the evenings after the baby ducks have gone to sleep. There will be plenty of knitting time. I'm thinking, four pairs of socks, a sweater, a scarf, and the spindle. And a few books, and my needle case. That's not too much, right?

(Clearly, reading the Yarn Harlot's chapter on Stash has seriously afflicted my brain.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

They're both worthwhile projects, but I think I remember that you have to graft the two halves of North Sea together, and that sounds awful to me. Maybe instead, you could do a provisional cast-on and knit that side out from the center, instead of knitting it in from the edge and grafting it on? It depends on whether the lace pattern on the sides is reversible or not. But it certainly looks like it might be!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home