Monday, March 06, 2006

Don't drink the kool-aid

We had a lovely weekend, especially yesterday; in the morning we went on a nice hike, in the afternoon I spun some alpaca roving and made chocolate-glazed toffee bars (from Joy), and in the evening I went over to Kate's for an Oscar party and knitting/spinning/dyeing extravaganza. In all, my day yielded this spindleful of alpaca singles, and this extraordinary roving. It's more of the same Corriedale that I've had since September, dyed with "ice blue lemonade" and cherry/strawberry Kool-Aid. I'm afraid I may have felted the roving a little, but since this was my first try and it's cheap roving, I'm not too worried. I love the way the variegation came out - it was accomplished by not using enough liquid to completely cover the roving in the pan, so some of it was out of the dye for a while. I'm definitely going to try it again, probably with some of that super cheap sock yarn from KnitPicks and more of that blue lemonade. I bet mixing it with a smidgen of grape would yield an interesting blue, and it would smell even more alarming...

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

Kool-Aid dyeing, how awesome! I like that red very much.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Kool-Aid company knows that knitters are helping to keep them in business? In any case, the colors look great!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home