Thursday, March 09, 2006

The post you've all been waiting for

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen... The Olympic gold medal project!


Pattern: Cable-V Vest from Lisa Knits. Yarn: Four skeins of Huckleberry Heather worsted weight from Beaverslide Dry Goods. Needles: Addi Turbo US# 4 and 6. Recipient: My mother, whose birthday is today! Happy birthday, Mom!

Here's a closeup of the cables and buttons. This was my first project with buttonholes; I used the second buttonhole technique in the Knitter's Book of Finishing Technique, and it worked nicely. I also used the book's advice on picking up stitches and it made a big difference, such that I had to rip out the armhole ribbing on one side and re-do it after I learned the correct proportion of rows to stitches.

Margene's comment reminds me that I should say: I LOVE this yarn. It's 90/10 merino/mohair, and it's soft and fuzzy and gets even softer after it's washed (though it does relax a bit - wash those swatches!). It makes a dense, warm fabric and it comes in a wide range of beautiful heathered colors. I'm a sucker for the subtle, heathered wools. It comes in worsted and aran weights, and I'm sure I'll be buying more for myself in the future.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! I love the buttons.

(oh, and my daughter now wants to be an astronomer when she grows up.)

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The vest fits perfectly and is beautiful! I'm wearing it to work today at the library. Such talent....

10:41 AM  
Blogger Erica.Hysterica said...

Happy Birthday Alex's mom! Alex, what a great job you did! We missed you last night at Amante. Maybe I'll see you Saturday.

E

10:50 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

That is one really professional-looking job you've done. :-) And the buttons! I LOVE the buttons.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally worth waiting for! It looks terrific. Your lucky mom, getting her birthday present on her birthday! Six weeks later my mom is still waiting for hers....

Great job!

12:36 PM  
Blogger The Geezer said...

Dear Daughter,

You made your mother very happy on her birthday.

Your Loving Father.

7:28 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, that's really beautiful! Your mom should be so pleased! I hadn't heard of that yarn before ... One more yarn to covet ...

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home