Sunday, July 02, 2006

Socks!

Yarn: Handpainted sock yarn from Kate at Zeitgeist Yarns

Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks from Interweave Knits, Winter 2005

Modifications: Knit on US#1 bamboo DP needles. Added 4 stitches to compensate, so the purled sections are larger. Worked heel flap in slipstitch pattern rather than plain stockinette. Only worked 2 repeats before starting the heel, to make the leg shorter, and worked fewer repeats on the foot as well.

Thoughts: Kate makes gorgeous yarn. :) I almost wish I'd picked a simpler pattern so the colors would stand out more. As for the pattern, I may be the only knitter on the internets who doesn't like the star toe. Yes, it saves you a lot of grafting, but with this version of the star, you have this big ridge of purl stitches right under your toes! I think I'll be sticking with short-row toe-up socks from now on.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

Oh, well done! And I'd do the heel exactly the same way you did, I think. A plain stockinette heel flap can be baggy.

8:33 AM  
Blogger The Geezer said...

Amazing, dear daughter.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Lovely! I think the colors and pattern compliment each other very well.

8:55 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

i don't think i would like th esta toe either. the socks are gorgeous. great job

11:13 AM  
Blogger Francesca said...

What great socks. And press on with Wrapped in Tradition. It's so worth it. I am feeling separation anxiety from my lovely lace. Boo hoo.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are quite lovely!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home